Thursday, May 14, 2015

Top 5 activities in Bratislava!

Ever since my city break in Bratislava (a few weekends ago), I've been meaning to "promote" the city on my blog.
Why? Because - as the locals mentioned it - Bratislava is still a "transit" city, just a pit-stop between the well-known (what I mean is crowded with tourists :D) European capitals, like Vienna, Prague, Budapest.
However, as one of the four Capitals along the Danube river, it's a splendid view in the visitor's eye. It has a quite high touristic potential, I just want to point out what I enjoyed most, in my weekend trip.

So, below are listed my top 5 "must-see" / "must-try" activities. Here's what I would recommend to a friend traveler :)

#1 Free old-town walking tour
Among all the guided tours and mini-buses for city-visit, I settled for a Free Walking Tour, in the Bratislava Old-town center provided by befreetours. The tour has no fee, but the idea is to tip the guide at the end of the tour. The guides are usually students and I can say - at least from my experience - I enjoyed the tour very much. In a very relaxed and fun atmosphere, we discovered various information of history, funny facts, myth, local traditions...
You may also be interested on other tours they provide :-) also a pub crawling is available :-)

While you are visiting the old town, don't miss out a hike to the Castle. The view from up there is worth a trip during the day, but also one during the evening :D



#2 An 'ascent' to the UFO
unlike the Castle, this is reached by elevator :-) For about 6euro / person, the elevator will take you about 90m up in the sky, to the observation deck on top of the restaurant. I believe the restaurant itself is usually full, or booked for events, but there is also a very nice bar, where you can enjoy a drink and a some delicious desert... for a "sneak peak", take a look on the owner-group's page.
If you look for it in google maps, there's a nice description that pretty much sums up the experience :-) "UFO watch. taste. groove"

...view of the old-town, from the Ufo observation deck





#3 The challenge and intrigue of a Room escape (ore more :P)
Well.. it wouldn't be me, if I would not recommend a room-escape game :-) and in Bratislava, I must confess, that I was impressed and intrigued by two fascinating room escape games. This was valuable experience for me, because after you play a lot of room-escape games, some may seem a little "too easy" like..."That was all?" But it was not the case with these 2 games that we've played, both kept us up-and-running until the last minute!
I recommend them both :-)
The Da Vinci Room (by Paniq)
The room

#4 The Devin Castle
This is a "must see" next to Bratislava, in a near-by village (Devin). You get to see the fortress's ruins, hosting also a permanent museum. Sometimes, the castle walls are animated by Knights, shows, activities (for both adults and children). There are several festivals/events going on, all year round, especially during the warm season.





#5 Danubiana
Also situated out-side the city area, Danubiana is a modern-art museum situated on the Danube, close to the southern end of Bratislava.
The indoor wings are a nice walk along the Danube, because the river is visible through the huge glass windows... Also outside, there is a very nice Park animated with modern sculptures, a mixture of colors and shapes... See... I don't actually understand art (after years and years of technical studies :P) but even I enjoyed the museum very very much... so I can only imagine how inspiring those works would be seen by artistic soul...

All in all, Bratislava is clearly a little something to remember... and someday to come back to ;;)