Saturday, October 25, 2014

Why do we dance?


Some years ago, I started to take dance classes, as a hobby, a way of combining sports with fun. I've never been an active person, thus there are few sports that I really enjoy. Mainly cycling and dancing :) ... plus some others that I practice rarely...

I enjoy bike riding, during the warm seasons, but it's more like a context-based activity (weather, trip ideas, group of friends and so), I don't do this on a regular basis. When I don't get the chance to bike ride for several months, I don't feel any regret, frustration or need, as I would if I'd skip dancing for some months.
I never enjoyed Aerobics and similar activities, as I find them both tiring and mostly boring. Even when I'm exhausted at the end of a dance-class, I still feed good about myself for having achieved more experience.

Social dancing has grown so much in my life, to the point where it became a way of living. For me, a way of self definition. :)
The sporadic Dance-Sport competitions (for adults), occasional shows, the Social Dance parties, the classes, the seminars; I enjoy and feel proud of being part of the local dance community.

So, knowing a lot of people who love dancing (like sport or social dance, tango argentino, ballet, contemporary dance and so many more... ) makes me wonder I've been thinking...
Why do we dance? Why does it make us happy? Why does dancing define who we are?
Why do we enjoy dancing, while other people in the community totally refuse to even try this?

Some may dance for personal achievement, attending the sport-dance competitions, putting all their effort, mind and body strength, artistic talent into the goal of climbing the sport-dance ladder and reaching the top.
The great artist enchant us with ballet and other rhythms, dancing on the great Theater or Opera stages, combining dancing with other beautiful arts..
Others may dance as a way of fun socializing... No matter the personal reasons, dancing provides you the way to let your mind and body out of the box, expressing you true nature, passion, feelings and energy on the dance floor.

I can't think of a more powerful tool or manner of expression, than dancing. It's the expression of the soul, the artist's state of mind, expressed by very complex body language.

Could dancing be the most powerful language of expression? More powerful than words, pictures, gesture.. because it is so complex, on so many levels, it can transcend word, images, sounds: this unique and subjective combination of movement, facial expressions, reactions, accents, rhythm; interpretation of rythm... musicality; feeling. Ten dance-couples executing the same figures will show you 10 different dances... as each dance is filtered by own personality, own feeling, own emotion... Dancers are able to express Passion, without saying the words, in so many different ways, that there wouldn't be enough words in the dictionary to describe these feelings.

The passionate people dwell in the latin hot rhythms. The more romantic, prefer the tenderness of a hug, during a slow dance... words are not even necessary...
I guess from time to time, we all enjoy an energy boost and "jump up, jump up!" :-D keep the energy pouring on the dance-floor!!!

Whether your dance-floor is a stage, a competition wooden floor, a saloon party, of just the living-room of your house, keep dancing, if dancing makes you happy!!! :-)